Monday, May 12, 2008

May 10th at Clark Park

Another great day at the park! It was the annual Clark Park May Fair, with lots of folks out enjoying the music, market, and food. Lots of old friends were about, and we had three children participate. It didn't seem to take much work to encourage people to participate, or maybe it was just that Nava was doing such a good job. We collected about twenty drawings in the two hours! Readers, participants, and facilitators, please do scroll down to the bottom of the posts and let us know what you think of the project!











1 comment:

Nava said...

This was my second Saturday facilitating in Clark Park. My overall impression: this project is fun!
I originally agreed to facilitate to help out Zoe. I wasn't really sure that I would love soliciting people on the park, but I kind of did. It was great getting to interact with so many different people, from best friends to strangers, and everyone in between. The biggest thing that changed between the first and second time was the way I talked about the project with people. The first week, after getting someone's attention I would explain the project saying, 'we're asking to people to make a drawing, and then we'll mail it'. After seeing how much fun people were having 'showing someone' I adopted Zoe's phrasing saying, 'you can make a drawing and we'll mail it for you'. I think this is a more accurate description and it made me feel like I was offering something instead of asking for something, which made it a lot more enjoyable.
I really liked the drawings that people made to say 'thank you' or 'i'm excited about this', like the above 'andrewecsid' or the flower for Hillary Clinton. The outraged and demanding ones were pretty great too, like the drawing of bleach and urine, addressed to 'smelly septa' (see photo from May 3).