Friday, September 7, 2007

at the Powel House: Sunday September 2nd

I had a lovely afternoon at the Powel House on my first day of the series there. Beautiful weather on a wonderful colonial-era old city street.

This location is a very different context for Show Someone from Rittenhouse Square. The potential participants are more likely to be tourists, and if they are not visiting the house, they are less likely to stop, as they are on their way somewhere else. People seemed to need less explanation for the project, since its association here with a house-museum gives it a more typical context. Also, for the first time, I put out a donation jar, to help cover the costs of materials and postage. Enough people donated a dollar to cover the postage for the day. I even ended up with a few people donating who didn't participate.

Those who did participate were enthusiastic and prolific! Almost everyone on this day made very political drawings, sent to mainly national and international elected officials.

See the drawings and the people who made them below...
And as always, please post your thoughts on participating, receiving a drawing, or reading about this project!



























4 comments:

Landmarks Contemporary Projects said...

I have to say, I think Zoe is really brave. I have always been such a shy person, and have worked so hard to get over my fear of talking to people. I really admire how Zoe can approach strangers to ask them if they want to participate in this project.

On the other hand, I found participating very empowering. Like most other people, I can complain and complain about something, but never take the steps to do something. It was very exciting to participate, and to see the energy of other participants. I'm most excited by the thought of these drawings have a ripple affect, expanding their ideas out to others.

Unknown said...

thanks for your comment, michelle! i do think it take a bit of bravery to do this kind of work- but to me, bravery means doing something even if you feel uncomfortable doing it. by this definition, you are also very brave!
i love your image of the ripple effect of the drawings... i like to them of them like this too- that they go out in the world to enact some small moment of change or new perspective in the recipient. or just make someone laugh!

Steve Rosenbach said...

Hahahahahahahaha! re: "Give it a Chance!" - the "artist" seems to be advocating for Daimler-Benz! Peaceniks really ought to learn how to draw a "peace sign" properly.

Also, for those who have drawn about the need to "feed the hungry, build schools, etc" in Iraq, please read the blog of Michael Yon to see what we are doing over there. You will be pleasantly surprised.

A very nice blog, BTW - I commend you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments, Steve. I have noticed a wide use of this symbol as a peace sign- I think it's become part of general usage somehow. Thanks for the blog suggestion, I will check it out.